Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Better than no one ever; thank you, Carson Cistulli

I am a person of many interests, to the detriment of excelling at any one of them. At least that's what I tell myself to account for the mediocrity that extends into all the nooks of my life.

I know that I am mediocre because every time I think I have gotten better at something, or an sort of good at something, I encounter an example (or countless examples) of people that are better than me at that thing.

Latest example: I like to think that I my baseball fanaticism is a nice balance between objective/statistical analysis and irrational things like "he plays for my favorite team" / "he wears high socks". I could probably write an article about Rickie "Skittles" Weeks to that effect and have it be pretty fun and informative to read, even for the most casual of fans. I might even be compelled to do so were it not for this article by Carson Cistulli of FanGraphs on Mark Bellhorn. I think it's one of the best sports articles I've ever read. It just so purely reflects a love of the game, the rational, irrational, the vibrancy and depth of the game that I love.

I cry at stupid things. If I listen to "Vacant Skies" by Sparta or "Adlai Stephenson" by Sufjan Stevens in headphones, I know I'll tear up big time. When I think about that 2008 US Presidential election, I fucking whimper. This article makes me feel ok as a human being, and I guess that is worth crying about.

2 comments:

a.k.a. "Joe" said...

"You're not a baby if you feel the world/ All of the babies, they feel the world/ That's why they cry."

http://www.last.fm/music/The+Blow/_/Parentheses

ryan said...

jesus